“I’ll let you know…”
“You should hear back from us in 3 days.”
Just how many of us have heard that and we wait…and wait…and wait.
What do you think of a person or business that does that? Not much, eh?
I received my mini 360 degree feedback results* and one of the top positive characteristics that my peers and manager listed was “dependability”, “to do what I say and say what I do”. I think that has much to do with one very important habit – I always reply to people as promised.
Getting back to people when you promise is one of the most positive traits there is. If you made a promise to reply by a certain time or day – do so even if you don’t have the answer or deliverables. Just telling others the status and that you are still working on it is important and appreciated. No excuses. Unfortunately, very few people do this!
Replying to people as promised tells others that:
1. You keep your word.
2. You care about and value them or their situation. They are important to you.
3. You are transparent.
4. You are dependable and trustworthy.
Not getting back to people insinuates that:
1. You are not trustworthy and undependable.
2. The other person is not that important to you. You don’t care about them.
3. You are a liar. ("I told you that I will reply to get rid of you!")
4. You are disorganized and unable to remember/track commitments.
A person is only as good as his or her word. It defines you and the organization that you represent.
Remember that people tend to do business with those whom they like and trust.
*Alas, it also showed some "imperfections" which I will diligently work on.