Really bravado, macho, power thing to do, eh?
Research shows that you cannot multitask. Think about machines - it is physically impossible to multitask with single processor PCs; they simply switch very quickly between tasks. Humans have a single processor CPU - you can't process more than one thing at a time with your brain. (Some woman argue that men think with their other organ but we will leave it at that.)
It fact, it takes 6 minutes to recover and switch back to a task when interrupted.
Your IQ also drops when you multitask:
- Your IQ drops 5 points every time you get stoned.
- Men’s IQs drop 15 IQ points every time they multitask.
- Women’s IQs drop 5 points every time they multitask.
So do the math, trying to multitasking is comparable to smoking a joint!
- Focus on one task at a time.
- For larger tasks or projects, break big tasks into little tasks.
- Set aside time to concentrate and work.
- Use the “Seven Habits" Time Management Matrix (above)
-- Work on Quadrant II, avoiding Quadrant III and IV
-- Work on important tasks that contribute to your mission, values, and are high priority goals
-- Avoid working on non-important, trivial time wasters
- Begin with the end in mind – take a few minutes before you start to sum up the task:
– what your goal is, what needs to be done
-- how it will be done
-- who you need to interact with to get it done
-- the estimated time and effort